Thursday, November 11, 2010
Leek and ham tart
Seasonal French style tart, both nourishing and elegant. So easy to make, but looks like Your have spent a day on the kitchen. Perfect as a starter for a festive meal or serve it with simple green salad with vinaigrette for a light dinner.
For a 23 cm tart:
Basic pasrty dough
2 leeks (white parts only)
100 gram ham
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cloves of garlic
150 gram cheese (Ementaler, Gauda)
50 ml cream 20 % (You can substitute with dense sourcream)
Salt and pepper to taste
For 28 cm tart increase the quantities of ingredients by half and take 2 eggs instead of 1.
1) Make Basic pastry dough. Roll it and place in the tart baking pan in a thin layer.
2) Preheat the oven to 180 C.
3) Slice leeks into half rings, dice ham and coarsely grate cheese.
4) Separately in a frying pan over medium heat fry ham In 1 tbsp of vegetable oil till lightly brown. Transfer into a clean bowl. Sweat leeks till soft in the same frying pan with a tbsp of butter.
5) In the mean time beat an egg with cream. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6) In a bowl mix leeks and ham, milk and egg mixture, press garlic in and add 100 grams of grated cheese.
Stir well and transfer into prepared tart baking pan with dough. Place the tart into preheated oven.
7) Bake for 20 min. then sprinkle the rest of cheese on top. Bake for another 15-20 min. The filling should thicken and the crust should be lightly brown.
8) Take Your tart out and let it cool for 5 min before unmolding if you have tart pan with a removable bottom. If not then let it cool for another 5 min and carefully transfer on the plate, upside down first. Then with help of another plate turn around. If You are not sure of Your unmolding skills then carefully slice the tart in the pan.
It’s the best to have it with a glass of chilled dry white wine! Bon Appétit!