A bunch of salad leaves (any kind You like. You may even mix them)
500 g of raw chicken liver
75 g of butter
A dash of vegetable oil
1 middle sized onion
2 Tbsp of Muscovado brown sugar
8 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar
A bit of Parmesan cheese to shave it
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Wash and clean the liver. Cut away all the white things from it. Make sure the pieces of liver are more or less the same size. If not cut some as necessary. Slice the onion halves. Wash, dry and tear salad leaves.
2) Preheat a shallow frying pan with a dash of oil. Melt a Tbsp of butter. When it stops foaming add the liver pieces. Fry at medium heat for about 2 min. on each side. Salt and pepper. In the mean time prepare the “salad pillow” on the serving plates.
TIP: Be careful not to overcook liver, it would spoil the salad irreversibly.
3) Place the liver in a separate bowl and keep it warm. Then add another Tbsp of butter in the same frying pan and sweat the onion, when it has soften, sprinkle with sugar. It helps caramelization. When sugar dissolves add balsamic vinegar. Let it boil for a min.
4) Add livers with their juices and the rest of butter. Let it all simmer for a min.
5) Serve on top of the salad and decorate with shaved parmesan flakes.