Soft, thin Schnitzel meat, melting in Your mouth with a company of sourish potato salad with smoked sausages… what a great meal to enjoy with a glass of good beer. It's "must do" in Vienna.
Bohemian atmosphere, hypnotizing music, interesting architecture - You have this all in old good Vienna!
City that makes You dream, city that makes You happier! City You want to be back to....
Maria-Theresia beloved Austrian queen, Hubsburg dynasty, mother of Marie-Antoinette, she has been pregnant for 16 times!!! loved eating the same much as she loved making love:-)
Vienna strikes with so many historical and cultural objects, side by side with modern life beating intensively in the big city...
Going back to the meal...
Classic Wiener Schnitzel made of veal. I had really fine cuts of pork. And it worked really well! You can decide what You prefer. It is important to make it as thin as possible, but not by slicing it, but by beating …
One more good thing about potato salad that You can make that salad even one night ahead and keep in closed tight container in the fridge till serving time. Then You can heat it up a bit, or serve it as it is – cold.
For Potato Salad:
600 gram potatoes
3 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 big onions
200 gram thin smoked sausages
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
150 ml chicken stock
6 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
4 pork or veal scallops beaten lightly till thin
3 eggs lightly beaten
½ cup flour
1 cup white bread crumbs
Vegetable oil for frying
Salt and pepper to taste
1 lemon for serving
For potato salad:
1) Wash and peel potatoes. Slice them approximately 0,5 cm and Cook In salted boiling water till done.
2) In the meantime peel onions, halve and slice them. Slice sausages (quite thick slices app. 1 cm). Heat a deep frying pan, add vegetable oil and onions, fry till softening. Add sausages and fry 2 min more.
3) Drain potatoes. Add the to the onion-sausage mixture, and fry 2 min more. Add hot stock, mustard, vinegar, freshly ground pepper , mix it well and boil everything together for 1 min.
4) Turn off the heat, cover with a lid and set aside at least for an hour.
P.S. You can make it also a day before. Serve cold or lightly warm, as a garnish or separate dish.
To make Schnitzel:
1) Place flour, eggs, and bread crumbs in 3 individual shallow dishes. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour, shake off excess, dip into egg, and last dredge in breadcrumbs. Shake off excess of breadcrumbs.
2) Heat the oil in large shallow frying pan. Add 1 Schnitzel at a time to the pan, brown from both sides about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to plate lined with paper towels and keep it warm. Repeat with other Schnitzel.
3) Cut lemon into 4 wedge.
Serve with one lemon wedge at a plate accompanied with potato salad! Perfect match for beer! Mahlzeit!